my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Tuesday 25 August 2015

August Rudolph Day

Well here we are the 25th of the month again and time for the Rudolph Day Challenge, where the theme is always anything goes as long as it's Christmas. The challenge starts today and runs until the last day of the month.
For my card this time I have used some new stamps from Paper Artsy, from their  Eclectica range designed by Lin Brown. All the stamps I've used here are from the same set.
I began by stamping the snowflake with Brilliance Ice Blue ink randomly onto some smooth white card. I wanted a subtle background and it doesn't show up very well in my photo but I think you could see it if you click on the picture to enlarge it. I then coloured the branch stamp with Distress Markers, Vintage Photo and Forest Moss, and huffed on it before stamping it toward the top of my card. Next I stamped the little bauble with Versamark and embossed it with WOW pearl gold embossing powder, and then coloured it with a red  Derwent Aqua tone marker and a water brush. At this stage I die cut it with a Li'l Inker  stitched rectangle die. I did this first so that I knew exactly where to place the Noel, which I stamped with Versamark and embossed and coloured the same way as the bauble. I used a small piece of gold peel off for the hanging chain, and then layered it onto first, some dark green card and  then gold mirri card before mounting it onto a folded red A6 card.  I quite like it now it's done but it didn't quite turn out as I had in mind and I had some difficulty trying to colour the embossed images. I tried Promarkers and then Distress markers which did colour OK, but I smudged both efforts trying to remove surplice ink from the embossing so my first two ended in the bin. The water colour crayons seemed to work better so I could make some more of this design quite easily now.

Thank you all for taking time to visit here today and for your lovely comments, I appreciate them all.

Now I am going to link this up at Scrappymo's Rudolph Day Challenge - Anything Christmas.

Jean

20 comments:

  1. A very classy card and while not Simple, nice and clean card, could spot the snowflakes so I did zoom in and just about spotted them but it is a photo and my eyesight struggles at time and I am sure in RL they will show perfectly.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful CAS design, so elegant. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card Jean. I can just see the snowflake when I click on it, and it makes a very pretty background. A lot of work and a bit of trial and error, but it was worth it in the end. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Jean, love the subtle snowfake on the background.
    Hugs Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely card Jean. The snowflake background is very elegant and I really like the rectangular die you've used. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty with the colored ornament and matching sentiment! I LOVE the mirrored gold cardstock that beautifully frames this gorgeous Christmas card! Well done Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this elegant Christmas card the bauble and the Noel look so pretty love the design as well You should make more this is a gorgeous design Love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice indeed. I see we have both dangled ornaments from branches this month!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really lovely Christmas card Jean and however you got there the bauble is very pretty hanging from the pine branch, and love the mat cut using the stitched rectangle and the nice sized sentiment too. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so elegant, really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jean,
    what a wonderful Rudolf card.
    Great designing as usual.
    Love all the fab colour card choices, and your wonderful designing too.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. a beautifully elegant Christmas card!
    hugs, annie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card - love the matted gold border!
    Thanks for joining in the Rudolph Day fun!
    Helen x
    (Guest Designer)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful Christmas card, love how you layered it, looks very elegant.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect festive design Jean, love it!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful card for Rudolf day, Jean! I love the traditional colours with the stylish CAS design - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you mentioned enlarging the photo, because the snowflakes do show up, very subtle, when it's a larger image. So very pretty with the pine branch and this wonderful gold & red ornament. The gold really stands out. Love this bold Noel with the gold star too. Super card, and love all the gleaming silver mats with the red & green. A beautiful & traditional Christmas card. Well done! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is ever so pretty Jean. I do like the background subtle stamping The bauble looks great too. Well done you.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jean. Finally able to get round and visit everyone!
    Your card looks wonderful. I really love the delicate branch...so pretty with that hanging irnament.
    I will remember your idea of the gilt peel off to hang the bauble from...brilliant idea!

    Tasks for taking pert in the August Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely CAS Christmas card - very classy!

    ReplyDelete