my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Monday 25 March 2013

Springtime

Springtime is the theme for our "Quintile" swap on the Chocolate Baroque group this month. It's a lovely idea but I would like to be experiencing it with a bit more reality than the freezing cold weather we are still having. Having said that, on the day I made these the sun was actually shining and it did look like spring even though it was very cold outside.
To make the background for these I used a newly acquired stencil from Imaginations. I put it through the cuttle bug which gave a slightly embossed appearance and before removing the stencil I used a stencil brush and bundled sage distress ink to colour the leaves. I love the Chocolate Baroque stamps with flowers on a script background. The crocus is from one of their newer springtime plates and the daffodil is an older one that I have had for a while. They were both stamped with black Memento ink and coloured with colour soft pencils. I then shaded the background with bundled sage and edged the card with forest moss DI. When I started to make these I thought the theme was Spring Flowers which is actually the theme for the ATC swap and this one is Springtime and as I said the sun was shining outside and the little birds were singing away in the garden as if thought it really was spring, so I decided to add the little birds to my project. I am not sure I like how they look but I couldn't take them off again so I hope the recipients do like them. The word Spring is from an Easter set of stamps from Our Daily Bread.

I am going to enter these at Crafty Boots - Flowers
                                         Make It Monday - Anything goes
                                         Vintage Stamping Challenges - Spring Is In The Air

Thank you for taking a look and for your lovely comments, they are all appreciated
Jean .

12 comments:

  1. Jean, the little birds are very cute. I love those stamps too, especially the crocus. Someone will be pleased to receive them. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your swap is gorgeous, the soft sage background works really well with the spring flowers and the little birds are cute.

    Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love script with floral stamps. That crocus is lovely with your purple colouring against the greens. The birds are actually rather effective as they're daintily perched on those leaves & stems.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Spring flower cards, love the flower stamps.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the singing birds are the perfect embellishment for these beautiful cards, Jean. The script flowers are simply gorgeous. The weather might not be spring-like but your cards certainly are!

    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two wonderful pieces with great spring feeling. Thanks for joining us at Flonz Craft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards and colors. Visited from MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cards are beautiful Jean, and the backgrounds look fabulous, I love how you've done these. I think the little birds are a lovely touch.

    You're right about the weather! Some days it looks like a perfect spring day but once you go outside it's absolutely freezing! I think we may skip summer at this rate!

    Take care

    Maria xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Thanks for sharing at MIM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jean, these cards are so very graceful and I love the backgrounds. Was it a brass stencil?
    The flowers are so spring like. Hope you have good weather soon.
    Thanks for the regular visits and the kind comments you leave me.
    Love,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely spring pictures Jean, a splash of Spring florals in a season that refuses to recognise that It IS spring...

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are lovely Jean -really like the way you used the stencil for the lovely soft background. Flowers are lovely too, thanks for reminding me I have these stamps , am greatly tempted to use them for April's tiles!

    ReplyDelete