my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Monday 23 June 2014

Yellow Roses

This is the card that I have made for my sisters' birthday at the weekend, she doesn't read my blog so I am safe to show it to you today. I started by stamping this rather lovely stamp from Just Rite Stamps onto white card with Memento London Fog ink. I then coloured it with mainly Coloursoft pencils blending with Sansoda and a paper stump. For the pink flowers I used two water colour pencils and blended with a water brush. I also went over the scroll work with a Sakura silver sparkle pen. I trimmed close to the image and found a snippet of gunmetal mirri card to mount it on. When I first got this card in a mixed pack of metallics I wasn't sure about it, ( it is quite a dark silvery colour ), but it has been very useful when a contrast matting is required but with the nice shine of metallic. Alas it is all gone now as this was the last bit and I just had enough to die cut the greeting with a Britania die. Having fixed the image to the mat I wrapped some yellow satin edged organza ribbon around it an fastened it at the back and then tied a bow onto the front. I cut a piece of thin yellow card to fit the front of a 5" x 7" card blank and trimmed the bottom edge with a Fiskars border punch and used a scoring board to emboss a line across. When all was fixed together I glued the greeting in place.

I will be taking this over to Pixies Snippets Playground as even the use of just one snippet gets you through the gate, although you can of course use as many as you like as the idea is to use up some of the piles of snippets that we all keep "just in case".
I am also entering at Vintage Stamping Challenge - Summer Blooms

Thankyou for visiting and for your comments, I really appreciate them.




10 comments:

  1. The yellow roses are glorious Jean and look so effective on the script backing.

    Thanks so much for joining in at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Jean, and a nice contrast to the pink one I have sent her. Eve will love it.I like your colour choice. I rarely think to use yellow but this is lovely. Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those yellow roses are stunning. I loved reading through how you put the card together. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty card Jean its lovely lots of huggles Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning. I love that stamp and the lovely words background. The card design is wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like summer on a card Jean. Beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty Jean with the lovely soft colouring, so summery and gorgeous. That JR stamp is a great size too, and I love the way you have mounted it on the black and then the yellow with that pretty border. I think your sister will adore it! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card Jean - fabulous colouring there too. Bound to be a hit - and I too love to read how you made your cards, it's great to pick up tips along the way!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very beautiful...you know I'm nuts for roses, and especially love the yellow shades on this luscious stamp. Great idea to stamp with the London Fog & the pencils made such a soft color...very gentle. I just want to take a little smell of these pretty things. The Sakura was equally lovely to add some elegant shine, and the dark metallic was perfect as a contrast background. Thanks for your support on the washer leak...when we didn't have a basement, I don't think we ever had a washer leak. This one is a front loader, and I think it is a poor design. We will not buy this particular brand again, but I think this problem was because DH didn't get something tightened properly. It's not something the customer should have to do anyway!!! Too much potential for problems. But it will get sorted...just very aggravating. I feel for you having to mop up the leaking spills too. We have another laundry load of wet towels now besides the one I was trying to do this morning! TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, wow, wow, Jean! Stunningly gorgeous card! Beautifully subtle colouring too. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete