my Crafty Corner

Cards and other handicrafts made by Jean Straw

Thursday 25 May 2017

May Rudolph Day

Hello friends once again, being the 25th of the month it is time for the Rudolph Day challenge at Scraps of Life by Scrappy Mo. You only need to make one Christmas card to enter, but I have made four this time as I was experimenting with this new Penny Black stamp, and also with my new Tim Holtz stamping platform. I used plain white card for the stamping making the four panels from an A4 sheet. I coloured directly onto the stamp with distress markers, colouring just the red parts and then spritzing lightly with water before stamping. I gave it a quick wipe over and then did the same with the green marker, and by using the stamping platform they matched up perfectly. I think I did two with the distress marker and then tried one the same way only using some very old Marvy pens. I must of had them for more than twenty years but most of them still work just fine. For the fourth one I stamped with Memento black ink and then coloured with Zig water colour pens. For all them I added some bright yellow dots to the center and then highlighted them with yellow Stickles.
I made them into two 6" square cards and two A6 size with the opening on the short edge. I found some Christmassy coloured papers to almost cover the fronts and then trimmed the stamped pieces to size and inked around the edges with a blending tool and stormy Sky Distress ink. Using the same ink pad and a very useful wood mounted random dots stamp made by Denami Designs I added the background dots, stamping some of the ink off onto spare paper first. The stamped panels are mounted onto gold very smooth glitter card, and I used the same card to die cut the Joy word using a Penny Black die. I added these to the square cards, and  stamped the greeting that came with the poinsettia onto the smaller cards using versamark ink and embossed with WOW gold embossing powder.

Now I am going to see what Christmas cards every one else has been making during this lovely spell of summery weather we have been having this week. The Challenge is open until the end of the month if you fancy taking part.

I am entering The Rudolph Day Challenge - Anything Christmas
and                   Addicted to Stamps and More - Holidays ( Christmas )

Thank you for your visit and for your  kind comments which I really appreciate.
Jean




20 comments:

  1. A lovely set of cards Jean. I love the stamp and the big Joy die. The little background dots were a clever addition too. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning cards, a fabulous image and love all the different ways that you have showcased it.
    Great papers and bows.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu've created a wonderful set of cards with that pretty poinsettia! I love the tiny changes in each card that makes them all unique and fun! Gosh, the time slipped away from me this month and I had no idea Rudolph days sneaked up on us so quickly again! I'd better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful cards Jean using that pretty PB poinsettia, and I love all four versions. The stamping tool is so useful when you are making multiple cards, it really makes stamping so much easier all round too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, with my GD hat on I should have said thank you for entering the May Rudolph Days challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous set of cards, Jean. What a beautiful poinsettia stamp! I'm waiting for my Stamping Platform to arrive - fingers crossed, it should be here next week. My Marvy pens must be about the same age as yours. I wonder if mine still work! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely set of cards, Jean. They are all beautiful, but my fave is the highlighted one!
    That JOY die cut is amazing. I also love the tartan DP.

    Thanks for taking part in the May Rudolph Days Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Jean, I love all the cards here much as I love Poinsettias.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jean,
    Happy Rudolf Days.
    what brilliant cards and your designs are wonderfully created.
    Those stamps look so super and the papers used are very lovely.
    Love the embossed die cut.
    I too have that stamping platform, and it's great for larger projects that the misty can't cope with.
    I got mine as a pressie from subscribing to the creative stamping magazine as I always love the stamps that come with their mags.
    Was going ot offer it as candy but when it came I was impressed by the size and could see a use for it.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful, love that stamp. (I also have old Marvy pens,like yours they must be at least 20 years old and still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely elegant cards, and nice to see the subtle differences in colouring mediums xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can never resist a poinsettia....I have fond memories of 6-8 ft high ones growing up the edge of our driveway when we lived in Libya in the sixties!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  13. A stunning card, Jean! I love it. Poinsettia are always a hit with me too x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning poinsettia Jean and I love the four cards you came up with!
    Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM and I hope you will join us again soon.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, now you're just showing off, Jean, lol! I LOVE your beautiful set of pointsettia Ccs! Very inspiring!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooo I love PB stamps & what you have done is absolutely stunning & thanks for joining the Mays Rudolphs Days Challenge, luv Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful and elegant. Love the very traditional look. Thanks for joining us at the ATSM challenges. All the very best. Nandini, DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just a quick note to say you are missed in blogland.
    I think you have been having computer problems...hope they get sorted.

    Thanks for the kind comments on my blog.

    Crafty Hugs,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful set of Christmas cards Jean and I love the stylish stamps. I'm sure you'll have great fun with your platform. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete